Southeast Motorcycle Forum
August 22, 2017, 11:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Official "Why I'm Quitting" Thread  (Read 40249 times)
Marid2apterbilt
Crash Test Dummy & Hooigan
Ghost Rider

The Swedish Chef - Livin by the lake, Murphy, Nc

In My Garage:
A "Round Black Rubber Thingie" changer with old and new rubbers

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 04:29:07 AM »
Go Up « previous next » Go Down

UGGG I took a few puffs off a ciger this morning n almost tossed my cookies BangHead

Awful..

Also pinned the thread so it is easier to find for everyone..
Time to suit up n ride..

Just Because you rode the Short Bus doesn't mean you're Special
Nothing annoys me more than someones constant BS and lies...
NFR racing (Smoky Mtn chapter)

:sf09
Pawpaw Bandit
RandyM, Sasquatch extraordinaire!
Global Moderator
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
2003 Nomad 1500, 2008 KLR 650, 2009 Concours 14 ABS

Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 05:19:41 AM »

Smoking makes ya schlong shriver.......... dontknow
Don't use it anyways Aussie...I'm married.   disgust

2008 KLR 650 and 2009 Concours 14 ABS
Sugar Hill, GA

::
Pawpaw Bandit
Global Moderator
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:

Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 05:25:09 AM »

UGGG I took a few puffs off a ciger this morning n almost tossed my cookies BangHead

Awful..

Also pinned the thread so it is easier to find for everyone..
Time to suit up n ride..
laughing4 laughing4 laughing4

Now a more serious note:

Ok I'm on the first step just so everyone knows how my attempt is going. I did buy a carton last night. My wife and I both smoke and I told her this is it. Start slowing down b/c there will be no more bought. We both smoke right around a pack a day so it will only be 5 days til they're gone. I am going to do my best to stick to it. It will help me A LOT if she does do. We'll see. Also would like to mention it is nice to have a "support group".  headbang Maybe I can really quit this time. The longest I have ever quit before was 2 or 3 days. And also another thanks to Tracy for starting this thread. It will help us all. Also former smokers chiming in with how much better they feel, etc will help too. So post away about how wonderful you feel it will help motivate the rest of us.

Sugar Hill, GA

JayV
Squid

Excelling in mediocrity

In My Garage:
2006 VFR, 2008 XT250, 2003 SV650S(wifes)

Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 05:54:36 AM »

Bandit, if you need a good quitting aid I would recommend going to a Dr. and getting a prescription for Chantix. I quit about 3 years ago for a year using it. It blocks the dopamine(?) receptors in your brain and causes the satisfying feeling you get from smoking to disappear. It also lets you really taste the cigs by blocking this and they taste like crap. I was able to quit using the product for only 2 weeks and had no real cravings. I did start back after a year because I wanted to, not because I craved it. And on a side note, I have found that since using Chantix, I can "quit" alot easier. I haven't really been serious about quitting until last week because my allergies are pretty bad this year and smoking exacerbates my symptoms. Whatever method you use, I wish you nothing but success. Good luck
kc4sox
Rookie Forever

In My Garage:
2009 SUZUKI GSX650F

Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 06:13:20 AM »

Man oh Man am I having a guilt trip here !!  2 months ago my wife agreed to allow me to buy a bike after 15 years of trying to talk her into it. The deal was that I would quit smoking and use the money I spend on cigs to buy the bike. (around $180.00 a month) Well I haven't held up my end of the bargain and I feel like an A**. Made my wife a promise and then turned around and didn't live up to it. So, today is gonnna be day one. I'm putting on one of the patches I bought and joining you guys in the "Great Challenge". I'ts going to be extrememly hard because she smokes as well and having one in your face makes it tough. I know because of all the failed attempts in the past. Anyway, I'm in and good luck to us all. 
fknflyn@73
Chief Cricket
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
Ol'86, and an FZ-09 dream !

Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 06:29:47 AM »

Man oh Man am I having a guilt trip here !!  2 months ago my wife agreed to allow me to buy a bike after 15 years of trying to talk her into it. The deal was that I would quit smoking and use the money I spend on cigs to buy the bike. (around $180.00 a month) Well I haven't held up my end of the bargain and I feel like an A**. Made my wife a promise and then turned around and didn't live up to it. So, today is gonnna be day one. I'm putting on one of the patches I bought and joining you guys in the "Great Challenge". I'ts going to be extrememly hard because she smokes as well and having one in your face makes it tough. I know because of all the failed attempts in the past. Anyway, I'm in and good luck to us all. 

Hey KC !   Having a prob with her cuttin' you a one-sided deal while she's still got the habit ! ! !   dontknow 
How 'bout some sort of compromise deal that'll get her involved as well ? ?    Make it easier for both of ya !   Just a thought ......

headbang

Sweat evaporates quicker than flesh heals, dress for the crash not the ride. ATGATT

My name is Scott and I play a VFR ! 

If you begin to hear ants screaming, gimme some of whatever you're takin'  !  

Mr. Gramps
The Dogfather
Ghost Rider

Dakes, he'll lick you or himself in a single hound

In My Garage:
Me for now, but even thats looking shakey....

Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »

I'm pulling for all you stinky smelly bastiges to get this done, you all have the knowledge of what it does to you physically and ya'll know the $$ saved will be spent on bike stuff, whats not to like  dontknow
Think of it like this, for every cig smoked thats minutes off the bike.....chicks dig bikes so if ya not out there being seen you maybe turning  happy10........not thats theres anything wrong with that.
Best of luck to each and every one of ya, think  Wheels not  violent5

Now i'm a squid i've gotta learn to eat fish..i've become so slippery i'm unsuckable
G-Spot says ahhhhh, then Eh.......

Kaiser Jokay
Kaiser Jokay of the Track Cartel
Ghost Rider

Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »

I can tell you with certainty, when you're in the hospital dying of lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, or any of the many other diseases associated with a lifetime of smoking, the healthcare professionals... docs, nurses, etc... look at you differently as you're laying there in the ICU.  They have a different attitude about someone dying due to a "lifestyle" choice as opposed to someone there for other, non-lifestyle related health reasons....  I'm not saying they judge you or compromise your care or even care less about you, but they are human, and human nature is still at play for those folks too.  They assume you accepted the risks associated with smoking and you're really there as a result of the choices you made in your life... In the end though, their attitude has less "fight for your life" to it, and a lot more "make him/her comfortable because the end is near".

Pretty sad really, if you think about it... Not saying it's right or wrong... just sayin...

Just like other things in life.... KNOW and UNDERSTAND the RISKS and CONSEQUENCES....

I care -- just not that much

RRW
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
Lotzokrap and a few motorcicles

Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »

What's the big deal? Why quit such a sophisticated habit.
Smoking and it's related illnesses only kills 400,000 Americans every year.
You can buy a motorcycle with the money you spend to stink like an unwashed ass.
Your house smells like an unwashed ass.
Your car smells like an unwashed ass.
Those burn holes in your clothes and car upholstery look fabulous.
You can't taste or smell things.
Your fingers have those way cool yellow stains on them.
You get to stand outside in crappy weather puffing on a cigarette looking like a crackhead in an alley.
If you don't get to smoke, you get all weird and start acting like a kid with ADD that just traded his Ritalin for a sack full of candy bars.

I mean what's not to like?  

I got a new helmet for my birthday. Mom said maybe someday when I'm allowed to go outside by myself I can have a bicycle. YEAAAA!

VFR800Lady
Rookie Forever

In My Garage:
2002 Honda VFR 800, Brown Shorts

Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 11:41:29 AM »

I have smoked three today verus my maybe 10 by now, so for day one I think that is pretty good so far. I will keep at it for sure. I really need to stop.

Keep it going everyone, we can do this.

fknflyn@73
Chief Cricket
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:

Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »

I have smoked three today verus my maybe 10 by now, so for day one I think that is pretty good so far. I will keep at it for sure. I really need to stop.

Keep it going everyone, we can do this.

Nah Nah! Nah Nah!  - Keep after it, Lady...  good start.   As a devout ex-smoker, I welcome the opportunity to provide support by any means necessary, starting with Joker's "lecture" above....   ! !    I'm not quite that eloquent, but I support what he's said 110% .... 

headbang

Sweat evaporates quicker than flesh heals, dress for the crash not the ride. ATGATT

ShadowDiver
Pirate/Infidel
Knee Dragger

In My Garage:
2007 Honda Shadow VLX, my wife's Outlook, and a Tundra.

Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »

Another day almost over and its still a non-smoking life.  Went for a ride today and had to remind myself not to stop at my normal 'smoke break' spots. I feel pretty good, albeit, that feeling of something missing.  I think that something missing is ok as long as I'm adding something such as years to my life with my wife and girls.

Keep up the good work folks!  This is a non-smoking forum.  headbang

Diver

I am the Diver icon_pirat

"You be careful. People in masks cannot be trusted." ~ Fezzik the Giant

fknflyn@73
Chief Cricket
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:

Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »

Another day almost over and its still a non-smoking life.  Went for a ride today and had to remind myself not to stop at my normal 'smoke break' spots. I feel pretty good, albeit, that feeling of something missing.  I think that something missing is ok as long as I'm adding something such as years to my life with my wife and girls.

Keep up the good work folks!  This is a non-smoking forum.  headbang

Diver

There's nothing "missing" at all, Tracy !   Think about it !    Hang in, buddy !   All too soon it will be, "damn... I smoked that crap?"   Trust me.... it'll be that pretty soon....    Nah Nah!

Pawpaw Bandit
Global Moderator
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:

Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »

What's the big deal? Why quit such a sophisticated habit.
Smoking and it's related illnesses only kills 400,000 Americans every year.
You can buy a motorcycle with the money you spend to stink like an unwashed ass.
Your house smells like an unwashed ass.
Your car smells like an unwashed ass.
Those burn holes in your clothes and car upholstery look fabulous.
You can't taste or smell things.
Your fingers have those way cool yellow stains on them.
You get to stand outside in crappy weather puffing on a cigarette looking like a crackhead in an alley.
If you don't get to smoke, you get all weird and start acting like a kid with ADD that just traded his Ritalin for a sack full of candy bars.

I mean what's not to like?  
Pretty good post there RRW. I can say my house doesn't stink tho. NEVER smoke inside. Do have the yellow stains.  laughing7  The crappy weather...cold or hot...does suck butt...

Anyways I'm with VFR800Lady as far as progress....smoked way less today than normal. I have tried cold turkey before and that just doesn't work for me...not that it doesn't work for some but I am really really trying. Gotta get to bed to get some rest to go ridin' tomorrow!  Wheels

Sugar Hill, GA

kwr8728
Knee Dragger

In My Garage:
2002 VFR 800 (touring/sport/track), 1998 YZ125 (dirty), 2010 Specialized Allez Elite (road), 2003 Specialized Epic Comp (mountain)

Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »

Good luck to all of y'all.  Not that you need a reminder of the worst case, but i lost 2 of my grandparents to smoking related issues (cancer in both).  Both of them only in their Early 60s.  That's YOUNG if you think about it. 
Don't forget to still get a good check up from the docs.  Damage could already be done, but at least they can catch it sooner and do something about it. 
 icon_thumright

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal