Southeast Motorcycle Forum
December 15, 2018, 04:30:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBB2010 - Flaming Gorge and Grand Tetons (Part 15)  (Read 1115 times)
Olive
Administrator
Ghost Rider

Mis-Adventure

In My Garage:
Historically... BMW800S, GS500F Now featuring Twins! 2008 Silver VFR.

Awards
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »
Go Up « previous next » Go Down

Another morning, and I headed back to Vernal for breakfast.  A town I was getting to know given the number of times I had cruised the main street.  Although oddly it was difficult to find a place for breakfast.  Lots of restaurants, but not catering to the pancake and coffee crowd.  Flaming Gorge was a wilderness area, and I knew from experience that gas and food were hard to locate in the national parks.   

Leaving Vernal, the foothills and mountains started rising at the side of the road almost immediately.  Signs indicated that many different geological formations were displayed by the roadside, and were identified.  It provided something new to read as I followed the curves into another mountainous run and into Ashley National Forest.

After a few hours Flaming Gorge opened up in front of me complete with a few photo opportunities.

Can anyone name this bird?

Give up?

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have found a full grown Osprey soaring high

As I was exiting the Flaming Gorge recreational area, the vistas once again opened to some marvellous cliffs and hills rising in the distance.  Colours were muted, almost pastel shades as the haze of the weather softened the lines and the view unfolding in the distance.

I followed the 191 out of Utah and into Wyoming where it was rich with sweepers and gentle hills.  Once again very different scenery from other areas of my trip. 

The roads were relatively uneventful, fields and more fields.  I stopped at the side of the road and dug up my Ipod.

There is an interesting story behind the Ipod.  I got it from the friend who was taking care of my Parrots.  She had volunteered to update my Ipod with her library of songs so I had more variety and was met with a blank look from me.  “What Ipod?”  She was more than a little surprised that I didn't have one, and donated her old Ipod to me.  It had been replaced by her Iphone, and ever since had been sitting in a corner collecting dust.  The price was right, so I added one more thing to my collection of electronics.  However, the Ipod has quite the eclectic collection of music on it.  That collection got even more eclectic when I added some of my own music to it.  It now contains a wide variety ranging from classical to country, rock to metal, and a few things inbetween.  The first ride I did with the Ipod was an interesting one, as it was set up to change songs when shaken, and every time the bike went over a bump my music changed.  A trifle odd.  Then I thought I had fixed the problem, only to discover that I had set it up to play one song on repeat... Did I mention it was a song that I wasn't particularly a fan of?  After that I figured out how it worked we started to get along a little better. 

Most of the time I ride with earplugs, but when I find myself on boring roads or feeling tired, the Ipod comes out.  When I am really feeling tired, I put it on “shuffle” - and I am not talking about shuffling a genre or play list. I set it up on shuffle to select from the entire contents of the music library.  This means that Josh Groban is followed up by Pat Benetar, then Kenny Chesney, some Pink Floyd, Simon and Garfunkel and then perhaps Mediaeval Baebes...   Very eclectic.   I find when I am tired it has the effect of recapturing my attention with each song switch – it doesn't get a chance to fade into the background and serves to keep me a little more alert.

I stopped for a coffee in another small town.  Just another tiny little diner.  I was the only customer in the restaurant, and it took a while for the coffee to arrive.  I figured that they must have been making a fresh pot.  How very wrong I was.  The coffee came, and I did something unusual for me.  I called back the waitress and requested a replacement.  The coffee she had brought me was stone cold.  Not even making an attempt at pretending to be warm.  It had obviously been sitting for quite some time.  She apologized that the previous shift must have turned off the burner.  (I guess this diner had never heard of the merits of fresh coffee?)  Next trip through I don't think that particular diner will be high on my list.

The roads started to get a little more entertaining as I started approaching the Grand Tetons.  That's where I found one of my favourites – construction!  It was a fairly long construction zone, the road was muddy courtesy of the rain, and full of rocks.  One way traffic with a flag man made for a lot of waiting on the road until I was waved through along with a group of cars.  By the time I reached the end of the construction zone my bike was covered in mud, making it look more like adventure touring than the cleaner style which I prefer.  The sun was getting low in the sky and starting to hide behind mountains when I pulled into the national park campground at Grand Tetons.  Checking in I was told that the campground was full unless I was interested in a biker/hiker site.  Sure!  The one she found me even had a tiny pad in front just large enough to park my bike.  And, as an added benefit was a lot cheaper than the regular drive in sites.  I observed that the site was very small, it didn't even have a picnic table or fire pit, but I really didn't need those amenities.  It suited my needs perfectly, and I pitched my tent for the night right beside my bike.

There were a few other bikers at the campsite, and a one of them stopped by for a chat.  He was from New York and was traveling across the country in hope of finding work.  He had put his furniture into storage in his parent's basement, and the rest of his worldly goods were strapped onto his bike.  Now that's someone who is into a real adventure!  He had no idea if he would find a job, he just set out west hoping to find an economy in better shape and a fresh start to his life.  I wished him luck.

I crawled into the tent and turned off my flashlight, ready for the adventure that the next morning would bring.

Veni, Vidi, Vroom
(I came, I saw, I rode away)
  Travelled States 2013
Rabbit:0  Olive:1

"Tough times never last, but tough people do"
-Robert H. Schuller
fknflyn@73
Chief Cricket
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
Ol'86, and an FZ-09 dream !

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:57:42 PM »
Go Up « previous next » Go Down

Nah Nah!

NEXT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 

Sweat evaporates quicker than flesh heals, dress for the crash not the ride. ATGATT

My name is Scott and I play a VFR ! 

If you begin to hear ants screaming, gimme some of whatever you're takin'  !  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal