Southeast Motorcycle Forum
June 23, 2017, 01:44:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Six weeks, a tent and a VFR  (Read 35641 times)
Mr. Gramps
The Dogfather
Ghost Rider

Dakes, he'll lick you or himself in a single hound

In My Garage:
Me for now, but even thats looking shakey....

Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »
Go Up « previous next » Go Down

Hope you enjoyed your day off in .........jeez, the middle of friggen nowhere. I'm a few Makers and Cokes in and Wheaties been sleeping for an hour, WTF!!
Good luck O, hope you're back and running tomorrow as early as possible.......carry on  icon_biggrin

Now i'm a squid i've gotta learn to eat fish..i've become so slippery i'm unsuckable
G-Spot says ahhhhh, then Eh.......

daisy
"The Jacket Thief"
Knee Dragger

Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »

Latest update from O,

"Popped weld on filter and lost 1L+ out of the bike. He cleaned tire using spray 9, said it should be ok see how it feels. Straight track to regina so will try it. Yes he checked brake pad. Service seemed really good guy. On the road again."

G-Spot
G-Spot & KFC - Finger licking good. Is that to much info ?
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
2002 VFR 800

Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »

Thanks for the update Daisy and good to know she is on the road again.

340KM - 211 miles further North than Olive.
Where Bears hump bikers named Aussie.
There are no sock nappers up here.
Cruz
Ghost Rider

Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

Glad yer back on the road...popped weld....wtf are the chances of that happening  dontknow  BangHead

Olive
Administrator
Ghost Rider

Mis-Adventure

In My Garage:
Historically... BMW800S, GS500F Now featuring Twins! 2008 Silver VFR.

Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »

Stopped to dethaw and for a cup of coffee in Moose Jaw.  Bike was reporting 44F in rain that started halfway between Swift Current and Moose Jaw.  So far so good.

The bike had lost over a liter of oil, and the oil was right at the bottom of the sight glass.  When I had installed the filter I went to hand-tight plus a quarter turn.  Apparently that was too much.  The weld points on a K&R filter are the weak point, and it looks like I cracked the filter, which let go on the highway.  You couldn't see the crack by eye under the nut, but that is where the oil was exiting.

While riding I kept a close eye for an oil trail near where I stopped and I was able to spot it.  The trail wasn't very long - about 600 meters from start to parking place at the side of the highway (just over ten seconds travel time).   Really nice smooth trail.  I am amazed how quickly I spotted it. 

Honda cleaned up the rear tire using a chemical cleaner and high pressure wash.  There is still a bit of evidence of oil on the sides of the tire. I have been taking it easy to see how it feels.  Feeling confident that the issue was the oil filter (didn't want to go for an instant replay). 

Going to continue east along main roads for a while.  Probably going to stop somewhere around Virden Manitoba this evening.  See how the weather is and how the bike feels.  Looks like I will be riding in 40F temps and rain all day.

Veni, Vidi, Vroom
(I came, I saw, I rode away)
  Travelled States 2013
Rabbit:0  Olive:1

"Tough times never last, but tough people do"
-Robert H. Schuller
Cruz
Ghost Rider

Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »

1/4 turn on a filter after it was seated  didnt crack a weld. Glad yer back on the road..and off to gmail now cuz Im sure you just emailed me.  icon_salut

NOMOKRASH (aka CTD aka Charlie)
Ghost Rider

The Triplets are ready to ride!

In My Garage:
08 Kawasaki Versys, 08 Suzuki GSX-R600 and 12 Yamaha FJR

Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »

In addition to the BRP you should look at the Shenandoah National Park.  There is only one public road through the park that runs 105 miles and the speed limit is 35.  The road runs the length of the park along the crst of the mountains.  The road ends where the Blue Ridge Parkway begins.  There is a $10 entry fee and there are four campgrounds.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/driving-skyline-drive.htm

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said I couldn't!

fknflyn@73
Chief Cricket
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
Ol'86, and an FZ-09 dream !

Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »

Back from OzVille ..... catching up on the O News !....  I kind of figured it was a filter-oriented problem...  Quick fix, your back on the road !  That's the good news !....  And I really wasn't asleep for that hour...   The party went on without me, and I left my ear plugs at home !   

Sweat evaporates quicker than flesh heals, dress for the crash not the ride. ATGATT

My name is Scott and I play a VFR ! 

If you begin to hear ants screaming, gimme some of whatever you're takin'  !  

Pawpaw Bandit
RandyM, Sasquatch extraordinaire!
Global Moderator
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
2003 Nomad 1500, 2008 KLR 650, 2009 Concours 14 ABS

Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »

Good news O! Glad you're back up and goin' and no big issue with the bike! icon_thumleft

2008 KLR 650 and 2009 Concours 14 ABS
Sugar Hill, GA

::
Olive
Administrator
Ghost Rider

Mis-Adventure

In My Garage:

Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »

1/4 turn on a filter after it was seated  didnt crack a weld. Glad yer back on the road..and off to gmail now cuz Im sure you just emailed me.  icon_salut

Tech said it was really on tight and he had a problem getting it off.  I dunno Cruz... maybe I've been eating too much spinach? 

Veni, Vidi, Vroom
  Travelled States 2013

-Robert H. Schuller
Cruz
Ghost Rider

Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »

Geez now Yer taken. Popeye's lunch??  laughing7

fknflyn@73
Chief Cricket
Ghost Rider

In My Garage:
Ol'86, and an FZ-09 dream !

Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »

He says you're taken  !!   Ok, O !  Wazzup  ? ? ? 

Sweat evaporates quicker than flesh heals, dress for the crash not the ride. ATGATT

My name is Scott and I play a VFR ! 

If you begin to hear ants screaming, gimme some of whatever you're takin'  !  

Mr. Gramps
The Dogfather
Ghost Rider

Dakes, he'll lick you or himself in a single hound

In My Garage:
Me for now, but even thats looking shakey....

Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »

you guys and Gal......cracking me up...maybe O's Filter also. Damn Sears and their unbreakable Craftswoman wrenches  BangHead......
Party died down when the Weedman left town, turned a  icon_biggrin upside down into a frown  sad1
Keep plugging away O, warm weathers only 2 weeks out  laughing7

Now i'm a squid i've gotta learn to eat fish..i've become so slippery i'm unsuckable
G-Spot says ahhhhh, then Eh.......

Olive
Administrator
Ghost Rider

Mis-Adventure

In My Garage:

Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »

Today was cold and wet.  The rain was just threatening when I picked up the bike from Honda, but socked in fairly quickly as I headed east.  The wind was driving it which didn't help matters.

I posted up about the service experience on my previous post, but have a few more pictures to share on this post.

You can see where oil soaked into this tire, despite it being cleaned:

Alex, the friendly service tech at Reiger Honda who provided priority service to put me back on the road:

Temperatures on the bike were registering in the low 40s (6C), with high winds and rain that seemed everpresent.  At times it was really coming down.  I had hoped to ride through it quickly, but by the time I reached Moose Jaw I needed to stop to warm up and dry out a bit.  I took the opportunity to don my rain gear, and add an extra layer under the jacket.  I felt a little overstuffed with the number of layers that I was wearing, but riding when you are both cold and wet can be a draining experience.

Turning the heated vest to "high" I headed eastward.  I only saw two other motorcylists all day.  Friday, when I left Calgary I didn't see any other riders, and Saturday I saw a couple before I had the bike towed back to Swift Current.  Most riders aren't convinced that riding season is upon us.

Strong wind really seemed to slow down the ride - I was heading right into it.  Weather forecasts indicate that wind was gusting 60, although at times it felt stronger than that.  Roads in Saskatchewan are fairly straight, and there isn't much wildlife around.  I had a beautiful coyote cross the road in front of me.  He was jogging with his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth and reminded me of Wilie Coyote.  No indication what mischief he was up to, and I didn't see any signs for Acme Industries.  (No roadrunners either.)

Potholes like these are a regular sight after Canada's hard winter.  Lots to be found on the TransCanada.  Extra attention is needed!

Along the side of the road there were a few hawks keeping an eye out for a tasty morsel.  Mid afternoon I spotted a fox trotting down the grassy divider between westbound and eastbound highway 1.  Foxes aren't a normal sight for me - I think this is the second one that I have seen on the road.  Beautiful animals, and they always surprise me with how small they are.

The highway curves around Regina, and I thought that I needed to stay on the same road.  As I passed the exit for the TransCanada eastbound I realized that I was now travelling on Regina's ring road, and got to look at a bit of the city as I retraced my steps back to the main highway.

It seems odd how the highway circles around Regina, much like the highway in Tennessee slides around Nashville.  I am accustomed to Calgary where the highways intersect the city passing directly through it.

There wasn't much to see as the day was very overcast, and the rain was a constant veil shadowing the land and reducing line of sight.

Indian Head, Saskatchewan

Finally I stopped in Indian Head to use a washroom at the visitor's center, pull out the camera and give myself a break from the wind.  Apparently Indian Head, Saskatchewan is home to a quirky Canadian TV show, "Little Mosque on the Prairie"'.  It is also home to a large statue of an Indian Head.

I continued riding through the rain, battling fierce gusting winds and started looking for a campsite.  The first place that I pulled into had a sign up indicating that their tent sites were closed due to weather.  Large puddles were evident, and grassy fields were partly flooded.  I continued on.  The next campground I also passed up after one glance at the deep muddy tire ruts that lead into the site.  I didn't want to take the bike mud-bogging.

Camping seemed to be a bad idea given the rapidly dropping temperatures and heavy rain.  I pulled into a small motel in Broadview, Saskatchewan - Sweet Dreams Motel.  It is an older building but well kept up.  Small touches such as these friendly bears stood outside the inviting rooms.  The owner offered me a decent price on the room for the night, so I opted to keep the tent dry.  Given that the tent had leaked the first night, it was probably the best idea.  My plan for the road was to camp whenever feasible, but to take an inexpensive motel or hostel if the weather seemed hostile.

Sweet Dreams Motel, Broadview Saskatchewan was a welcome sight in driving rain and high winds

Welcome bears provide a whimsical touch at the door to my room at the Motel.  For some reason these bears reminded me of Skuut and Mahawk.

Checking the forecast for the evening I am glad that I stopped in for a room.  Environment Canada is calling for up to an inch of rain overnight, and temperatures dropping just a few degrees above freezing with a risk of frost.

After checking into the motel I hung up my gear to dry.  My left boot has a significant leak and had trapped some icy cold water.  The sock was completely soaked.  The right boot also leaks but not as badly - the sock and boot were merely damp.  It will be nice to start off tomorrow with dry socks, dry boots and warm feet.

Tomorrows forecast is more of the same - chilly temps and liquid sunshine.  Regardless of the weather it feels really good to be out on the road, and in a few weeks time I am likely going to be wishing for some cooler temperatures.

Sitting in the Motel I had an opportunity to go through some of the pictures I had taken yesterday in Swift Current.  I liked this shot of one of the local houses with the resident peeking out the front door.

Veni, Vidi, Vroom
  Travelled States 2013

-Robert H. Schuller
skuuter
Global Moderator
Ghost Rider w/3rd Degree Black Belt

"PEDALING THE SOUTHEAST"

In My Garage:
Catrike 30 speed Recumbent Trike...Bianchi single speed Track Bike...TREK Farley Fat Tire Bike

Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »

Glad it all worked out OK Olive.... headbang.....Now, here comes the (Yes, I know They are High Priced) Honda Oil Filter Commercial.....I have had Oil Filter Failures at various times usin' Every Major brand on Motorcycles "EXCEPT" Honda Filters....NEVER had One Fail in Any Form, and I have done a Lota' Changes as many Miles as I have ridden.....OK, carry on..... laughing7

I LEARNED A LONG TIME AGO, BEST WAY TO REALIZE THE DANGER OF YOUR PACE IS WHEN IT GOES FROM THAT SPEED TO ZERO REALLY ABRUPTLY.....MIGHTA' BEEN FASTER THAN YOU THOUGHT.....SKUUTER

PEDALING IS SLOWER AND HEALTHIER.....SKUUTER

::
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal